VQOTW: Top 5 queries regarding the new VAT Construction Domestic Reverse Charge

Top 5 queries regarding the new VAT Construction Domestic Reverse Charge

1. Q. My client owns some land and intends to appoint a main contractor to build new commercial premises, which the client will then sell – will my client have to apply the domestic reverse charge to the invoices he receives?

A. No, as your client is a developer (landowner) and will be selling a completed building, not supplying on construction services, they will be classed as an end user, and therefore the contractor will charge vat on their invoice as normal.

2. Q. My client acts both as a main contractor and a sub-contractor. How do they record supplies made and received on their VAT return, and what should their invoices look like?

A. Supplies made – your client should still show all of the information normally required on a VAT invoice, make a note on the invoice to make it clear that the domestic reverse charge applies and that the customer is required to account for the VAT, and also clearly state how much VAT is due under the reverse charge, or the rate of VAT if the VAT amount cannot be shown, but the VAT should not be included in the amount charged to the customer

HMRC have an example invoice within their technical guide.

The client should record the sale in Box 6 only on their VAT return.

Supplies received – For domestic reverse charge invoices received, these need to show in the following boxes on the VAT return:

Box 1 – VAT amount shown on the invoice to be paid to HMRC

Box 4 – VAT amount to be recovered subject to normal input tax rules

Box 7 – Net value of the invoice as a purchase.

3. Q. My client is a construction business and has CIS Gross Payment Status, so does this mean that because there are no CIS deductions on the invoices they issue, the supply of construction services does not fall under the Construction Domestic Reverse Charge?

A. This is not the case – even where a supply is made by or to a construction business that has CIS Gross Payment Status, the supplies are still within the CIS reporting requirements and therefore would still be subject to the Domestic Reverse Charge.

4. Q. My client acts both as a sub-contractor and main contractor and uses the cash accounting scheme. HMRC’s guide says that you cannot use the VAT Cash Accounting Scheme for supplies of services that are subject to the reverse charge. Does this mean they need to stop using the scheme altogether?

A. Not necessarily – reverse charge transactions are excluded from the cash accounting scheme but your client can remain on the scheme and continue to account for non-domestic reverse charge work on a cash accounting basis. However, if your client acts as a sub-contractor and all of their sales will be subject to domestic reverse charge, then they may well want to stop using the scheme so that they can start to reclaim their input tax earlier on an invoice basis, rather than a cash basis.

5. Q. I have heard my client needs to leave the flat rate scheme because of the domestic reverse charge – is this true?

A. Again, that is not necessarily the case. Supplies made and received under the domestic reverse charge should be dealt with completely outside of the flat rate scheme. As in the previous question if the client acts as a sub-contractor and all of their sales will now be subject to domestic reverse charge then it makes sense to leave the scheme, as they will no longer have any output VAT to account for (as these supplies are excluded from the flat rate scheme turnover) and so by remaining on the flat rate scheme, they will still be blocked from recovering input tax on materials and overheads, etc.

If the client is a main contractor supplying end users and does not make any supplies that fall under the domestic reverse charge, then their position is largely unaffected. They will continue to charge VAT as normal, and include the gross value of the supply in their flat rate turnover. If they receive supplies from sub-contractors that are subject to the domestic reverse charge, these are dealt with on the VAT return as described in Q.2, and the Box 4 input tax can be claimed in line with normal input tax rules, as the reverse charge is dealt with outside the flat rate scheme altogether.

Please share this article with your clients

VIP Tax TEam Brochure

Our team of expert consultants have a wealth of experience and can also provide a written consultancy service to support your practice, like having your very own tax and VAT department.

Why not see what My VIP Tax Team can do for your practice, call 0844 892 0251 or vip@cronertaxwise.com to find out more.

Back to Community

VAT Adviser
0844 892 2470

Tony joined HMRC in 2015 where he managed a cross-tax Hidden Economy team specialising in failure to notify compliance work and evasion. He developed a sound understanding of VAT as well as gaining significant knowledge of the compliance penalties regime and Schedule 36 compliance powers.

My VIP Tax Team VAT question of the week: VAT Exemption for Financial Intermediary Services
My VIP Tax Team VAT question of the week: Upcoming changes to VAT penalties & VAT interest charges
My VIP Tax Team VAT question of the week: Costs in relation to Share Transactions